recipe source:Better Homes and Gardens
top ideas for dinner tonight
This light salad is a satisfying main dish that has a distinctly Greek taste. Made with quinoa, a super grain, this salad is full of avocado, tomatoes, and spinach. Packed with healthy ingredients, a tangylemon dressing and feta cheese top this tasty 30-minute meal.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup water
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Spinach leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced**
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2Transfer quinoa to a medium bowl. Add tomato, spinach, and onion; stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and salt. Add to quinoa mixture; toss to coat.
- 3Place spinach leaves on 4 salad plates. Arrange avocado slices on spinach leaves. Spoon quinoa mixture over avocado slices. Sprinkle with some of the feta. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- 4*Note: Rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking to remove a bitter substance called saponin that coats the seeds.
- 5**Note: Brush avocado slices with additional lemon juice to prevent browning.